Monday, October 19, 2009

Deer Hunting

I had the opportunity to go deer hunting this last weekend with my uncle Mark. I left Friday afternoon. We hunted above Flaming Gorge in the uintas. Mark is nice enough to let me come with him and stay in his trailer. Its more of a vacation than hunting. Saturday we woke up early and walked through the woods for a couple of hours, not seeing anything. Then we drove to Goslin Mtn. We saw a few deer there, and one little buck. Someone shot it while we were looking at it. Saturday afternoon we decided to head up to Dowd Mtn and try to see if there were any deer there. I ended up having Mark drop me off and I walked through the trees looking for deer. Mark then would pick me up at the next road. I saw quite a few does but never any bucks. Sunday morning we decided to sleep in. I woke up a little after 8 and just looked out the window for a while. I finally had to relieve myself so I walked out of the trailer. I happened to notice that there were a couple of deer standing in the trees by our camp. I go back in the trailer to grab my binos and tell Mark to come look at them. Upon further inspection I realize that one is small buck. I don't know why but I decided that I was going to shoot it. I went back in the trailer, grabbed the gun, and used the camp chair as a rest. Mark was my eyes, and helped me keep the right deer in the scope. (It can be hard when its antlers are about as tall as its ears) Once the deer was broadside, Mark said shoot him in the shoulder; so I did. The deer reared up and then fell dead in his tracks.
I know that he is a pretty small deer, but I am still proud to have gotten it.

By the way, that is Mark's trailer in the background. I had only moved the deer about 50 yards from where this picture was taken.

1 comment:

Bird Counts 2014-2015

Ducks: 7
Chase Birds Retrieved: 38

Bird Counts 2013-2014

Ducks: 21
Geese: 3
Doves: 6
Pheasants: 2

Bird Counts 2012-2013

Ducks:30
Geese:4
Pheasants:2
Swan: 1
Coot: 1

Bird Counts 2011-2012

Dove: 5
Grouse: 1
Ducks: 74
Geese: 9
Pheasants: 6

Bird Counts 10-11

Doves: 8
Ducks: 38
Canada Geese: 1
Pheasants: 5

Bird Counts 09-10

Doves: 26
Ducks: 95
Canada Geese: 16
Snow Geese: 1
Coots: 4
Pheasants: 1
Snipe: 1

Days in the Field

2012: 58
2013-2014 Waterfowl: 22
2014-2015 Waterfowl: 2